Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wash your hands!

See all blog posts
Bathroom Talk: How to Deal with People Who Don't Wash Their Hands
Wednesday, 08/20/2008 at 9:00 AM Comments (17)

washing hands

In my first job after college, I worked with a gal who never, and I mean never, washed her hands after using the restroom. There I'd be, lathering up at the sink, and after she finished her business, she'd just walk out of the stall and shamelessly head for the door. Gross, yes (just think of all the germs she could have been spreading around the office!), but is it ever OK to say something to people like this?

First, says Elayne Savage, Ph.D., an expert on sticky situations like this one, "ask yourself 'does this affect me directly? Or am I being a busy-body?'"

So if you're just annoyed, keep to yourself, she says. After all, according to past research, she's not the only person on earth who doesn't wash up after flushing. A good 10 percent of women seem to have an aversion to soap and water--and men are worse: 25 percent of them skip out on scrubbing up.

Alright, but if a co-worker's (or friend's) lack of hygiene affects you (a few examples: you're sharing food, shaking hands or use communal phones or desks), then by all means, says Savage, speak up!

Here's how to approach her: "I suggest phrasing it this way, 'There is something I'd like to talk to you about. Is it OK with you if I say something to you?' Once they agree, they are giving you permission to respectfully say what you feel you need to say."

From: Yahoo News

No comments: