Saturday, August 1, 2009

Develop Healthy Habits Early

I've been volunteering at a nearby elementary school for the past two months, and more than ever, I realized the importance of developing healthy habits early in life. This responsibility lays largely on parents and teachers, who help a child develop the path and life they will eventually live- on their own. Seeing that many of the children were far above their healthy weight and were- at their tender ages- not very healthy, I raised my concern with the other teachers and parents. I introduced Wai Lana's Little Yogis series to them. Some parents faced my ideas with a little apprehension, while others welcomed the concern. I proposed that the children try it out even just for two weeks, and from there they could assess whether it was working on not.

The funny thing is that many of the parents were surprised that the kids absolutely loved the fun songs and doing the yoga poses with Wai Lana. After two weeks, the parents all voted that the 30 minute "yoga fun and way with Wailana" would continue, and even got Wailana's daydream CD for kids for the preschool children.

I hope and trust that this is a great way to start these children on a healthy lifestyle. As they become accustomed to feeling great and having good fun doing yoga, they will always look forward to it throughout their lives, or at least know how wonderful yoga can make them feel. Kids need to relax too! My next project now is to introduce less sugary snacks, and I know Wailana yoga yogi bars and snacks for kids will be perfect for this.

No comments: